(Get PDF Version)
Charles Harmon Pierce,
MSc, MD, PhD, FCP, CPI
- 30+ years teaching, research and practice with special interest and expertise in Asthma
- 28+ years activity in Continuing Medical Education (CME)
- 29+ years in "Clinical Pharmacology" (FCP 1974)
- 25+ years in Family Practice (ABFP 1977-1994)
- 13+ years administrative activity in the Medical Research Industry
- Post-Doctoral year, 1971 - 1973, McGill University, Department of Pharmacology
and Therapeutics with Mark Nickerson, Ph.D., M.D.
- Ph.D., 1974, University of Saskatchewan, College of Graduate Studies (Surgery) 1969-1971
- Thesis: "An Inquiry into the Nature of Circulatory Shock: Development and
Use of an Experimental Model Utilizing Controlled Cardiac Tamponade."
Advisors: Eric M. Nanson, M.B., Ch.B.; John R. Gutelius, M. D. and Fred G. Inglis, M. D.
- M.D., 1968, University of Saskatchewan, College of Medicine, '65-'68
- M.Sc., 1961, University of Minnesota, College of Graduate Studies, Department of Pharmacology
- Thesis: "Effects Upon Respiratory Function of a Meperidine Derivative
Using a New Experimental Approach" Advisor: Raymond N. Bieter, M.D., Ph.D.
- B.A., 1956, University of Minnesota, College of Science, Literature and Arts
- Fellow, American College of Clinical Pharmacology, 1974. Regent 1995 - 2000,
Chair, Annual meeting, September 2001, Emeritus Fellow July 2002, Nathaniel T.
Kwit Memorial Distinguished Service Award, 2004
- Member, American Academy of Pharmaceutical Physicians, 1997 -
- Fellow, American Academy of Family Physicians, elected 1988 - Member since 1979, Life Member 2001
- Member, Canadian Society for Clinical Pharmacology, 1982 -
- Charter Member, American Society of Hypertension, 1986
- State Medical Board of Ohio, 8-2173-P - January 2003 - Present
- DEA Registration (BP8369818) July 2003 - July 2006
- Collège des Médecins du Québec, (176561) 1976 - Present
President, Pharmaceutical Medicine Consultants, Inc. Operating as "Pierce One Consulting",
Cincinnati, Ohio July 2000 - Present.
Medical Director, CTI Clinical Trial and
Consulting Services, Cincinnati, Ohio, 2006 -
Vice President, North American Medical Affairs,
Harrison Clinical Research Group (HCR), Munich, Germany.
Representing HCR in the U.S. March 2001 - Present.
Adj. Associate Professor of Psychiatry, University of Cincinnati,
College of Medicine, Cincinnati, Ohio August 2000 - Present.
Associate Director, Clinical Trials Office, Children’s Hospital medical Center of Cincinnati.
February 2001- July 2003
Director, Research Division, Riverhills Healthcare, Inc. Cincinnati, Ohio March 2001 - Aril 2002
Senior Vice President & Chief Operating Officer, Phoenix International life Sciences (U.S.) Inc.
Cincinnati, Ohio. June 1999 - April 2000.
Director of Medical Affairs, MDS Harris Laboratories, Lincoln, Nebraska April 1997 - February 1999.
Medical Director & Principal Investigator, L.A.B. Pharmacological Research International Ltd.,
Vaudreuil, Québec (formerly Clinical Research division of Bio-Research Laboratories Ltd. of Senneville
(Montréal), Québec) December 1989 - April 1997.
Active Staff, Department of Family Medicine, Doctors Hospital, Toronto, Ontario 1983 - 1985.
Active Staff, County of Bruce General Hospital, Walkerton, Ontario 1983 - 1985.
Consulting Member (Clinical Pharmacology) Council of Physicians of the Montréal Heart Institute,
Montréal, Québec 1976 - 1982.
Assistant Professor, Department of Family Medicine, McGill University, 1977 - 1979.
Member, Council of Physicians & Dentists of the SMBD - Jewish General Hospital, Department of
Family Medicine, Montréal, Québec 1976-1979.
Active Member, Council of Physicians & Dentists at St. Mary's Hospital Department of General Medicine,
Montréal, Québec 1977 - 1982.
Assistant Professor, Department of Pharmacology, University of South Alabama College of Medicine and
Active Staff, Department of Family Practice, University of South Alabama Medical Center, Mobile,
Alabama 1974 - 1976.
MEDICAL PRACTICE/CLINICAL EXPERIENCE ('69 - '97, '03 - )
Family Practice including Emergency Room (ER) part-time
- 2003 - present, Cincinnati, Ohio & Montréal, Quebec
- 1990 - 1997, Montréal, Québec (part time)
- 1985 - 1989, Burlington, Vermont (+ Urgent Care)
- 1982 - 1985, Toronto, Ontario (ER)
- 1976 - 1982, Montréal, Québec (ER)
- 1974 - 1976, Mobile, Alabama (part time)
Attending Staff, Department of Medicine and Pediatrics, Medical Center Hospital of Vermont,
Burlington, VT., '85 - '89
Staff Physician, Doctors Hospital, Toronto, Ontario and County of Bruce General Hospital
(Emergency Room), Walkerton, Ontario 1983 - 1985.
Staff Physician, Family Medicine Center 1977-1979. St. Mary's Hospital Emergency Room,
Montréal, Québec '77-'81.
Staff Physician, General Medical Clinic and Hertzl Family Practice Center of the SMBD-Jewish
General Hospital, Montréal, Québec 1976 - 1977.
Attending Physician and Director, Mobile County Jail Medical Department, Mobile, Alabama 1975 - 1976.
Staff Physician, Veterans Administration Ambulatory Care Clinic& the University of South
Alabama Medical Center, Mobile, Alabama 1974 - 1976.
Physician, Clinical Pharmacology Hypertension Clinic, Montréal General Hospital,
Montréal, Quebec '73 - '74.
Intern, (Rotating) University Hospital, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan '68 - '69.
- AAPP Certified Physician Investigator (CPI #15) November 2003
- SPEX examination (S21792098 / 25565) January 2003
- Diplomat of the American Board of Family Practice, (133881), 77-94.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support Instructor, 1980, 1982, 1984 (OHF #9072), 1986.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support Instructor Trainer (1076) June 1982.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support, 1979, 1981.
- Licentiate, Medical Council of Canada, (28642), 1969.
- National Board of Medical Examiners: Part I, 1964; Part II, 1969.
- Nathaniel T Kwit Memorial Distinguished Service Award for 2004 from the American College of Clinical Pharmacology,
- Board of Directors, The Annapolis Center for Science-Based Public Policy, 2002 - Present
- Regent, American College of Clinical Pharmacology, Elected for 1995 - 2000.
- Board of Directors, Chittenden County United Way, 1988 - 1989.
- Affiliate Faculty, ACLS, Ontario Heart Foundation, 1984 - 1985.
- AMA Physicians Recognition Award, 1976 and 1986.
- Research Fellow, Canadian Heart Foundation, 1969 - 1973.
- Associate Editor, Canadian Association of Medical Students and Interns Journal, 1967 - 1968.
- President, Students Medical Society, University of Saskatchewan College of Medicine, 1967 - 1968.
- Captain, University of Minnesota Squash Racquets B Team, Champions, 1964 - 1965.
- Sigma Delta Psi - National Honorary Athletic - elected June 1957.
- President, Theta Delta Chi Academic Fraternity, 1955 - 1956.
- Chair, ACCP 2001 Annual Meeting.
- Member, Academy of Medicine of Cincinnati Continuing Medical Education (CME) Committee, 2000 - 2001.
- Member, ACCP - ACCME Committee, 1997 - 2003.
- Chair, Clinical Seminars Committee of the AAPP 1997 - 2000.
- Chair, Membership Committee, ACCP, 1996 - 2000.
- Member, The Vermont Formulary Committee, 1987 - 1989.
- Member, Pharmacy & Therapeutics Committee, MCHV, Burlington, Vermont, 1986 - 1989.
- Chair, Pharmacy & Therapeutics Committee, Doctors Hospital, Toronto, 1985.
- Member, Therapeutics and Infection Control Committee, Doctors Hospital, Toronto, 1983 - 1984.
- Member, OMA Committee on Drugs & Pharmacotherapy, 1983 - 1984.
- Member, Education Committee, ACCP, 1978 - 1984.
- Chair, Pharmacology & Therapeutics Committee, St. Mary's Hospital, Montreal, 1977- 1982.
- Chair, CME Committee, Department of Family Medicine,
SMBD-Jewish General Hospital, 1977.
- Member, Pharmacy & Therapeutics Committee, SMBD-JGH, Montreal, 1976.
- Chair, Pharmacy & Therapeutics Committee, University of South Alabama Medical Center, 1975.
Continuing Medical Education Activities
Course Director: "The Clinical Research Puzzle II: Putting the Pieces Together" a day and a half course on GCP aimed at protecting the integrity and rights of human subjects. May 31 -June 1, 2003
Course Director: "Insuring Human Subject Safety: A Clinical Investigator’s Workshop" - 0ne day course on the ethics and science of clinical research of the Academy of Medicine of Cincinnati. January 13, 2001.
Chairman: "Asthma Therapy in the Next Decade - Hang on to Your Hats" an ACCP/CSCP joint symposium at the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons meeting. Toronto, Ontario, September 23 - 27, 1998.
Chairman: "Changing Face of Asthma Therapy in the Next Decade" - symposium at the annual ACCP meeting. Phoenix, Arizona, September 18 - 20, 1997.
Course Director: "Advanced Cardiac Life Support" - three, two day courses sponsored by The Doctors Hospital and the Ontario Heart Foundation, Toronto, Ontario. June & November 1984 and June 1985.
Course Director: "Advanced Cardiac Life Support" - three, one and one-half day courses sponsored by the Department of General Medicine of St. Mary's Hospital and the Québec Heart Foundation, Montréal, Québec. December 1980 and April & October 1981.
Course Director: "What's new in Drug Therapy" - CME offering at the annual meeting of the American Academy of Family Physicians, New Orleans, Louisiana. October 1980.
Course Director: "G.I.Clinical Day - Practical Answers to Problems of the Upper G.I. Tract in Office Practice" - one day course - Montréal, Québec September 1979.
Course Director: "Consultations in Hypertension" - one day workshop at St. Mary's Hospital, Montréal, Québec. February 1978.
Course Director: "Pulmonary Disease in Office Practice" Second in a series on Practical Answers to problems in Primary Care - one and one-half day course at the SMBD-Jewish General Hospital, Montréal, Québec. November 1977.
Course Director: "Rational Use of Antibiotics" and "Practical Management of Hypertension," two, one day AMA regional CME courses, Marquette, Michigan. August 1977.
Course Director: "The Use of Antibiotics" - first in a series on Practical Answers to Problems in Primary Care. One day course at the SMBD - Jewish General Hospital, Montréal, Québec May 1977.
Course Director: "Cardiovascular Drug Therapy - An Update". One day AMA regional CME course, Birmingham, Alabama. February 1977.
Planning Committee: "Drug Therapy II" - Topics In Antibiotic Use, Drugs Altering Mood And Behavior, & Current Problems And Controversies In Drug Therapy, Mobile, Alabama. January 1977.
Course Director: "Drug Therapy I" - two day CME course in Drug Therapy with topics in Basic Pharmacology, current Antihypertensive therapy, Cardiac Pharmacology and current problems and controversies in drug therapy, Mobile, Alabama. February 1976.
Pierce, C.H., Walson, P. Where are the Pediatric Investigators?; GCPj, 9(8): Aug 2002
Pierce, C.H. Are new drugs really riskier; GCPj, 9(7):6, July 2002
Pierce, C.H., Human Subject Safety; GCPj 8(3):9 March 2001
Pierce, C.H. Asthma Therapy From The Practice Perspective: Changes In The Wind. Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 39(3): 223-229, March 1999.
Pierce, C.H. How Calcium Antagonists Interact With Cardiac Glycosides. Consultant, 26(9): 82-89 September 1986.
Pierce, C.H. When We Should Be Measuring Plasma Concentrations Of Drugs. Consultant, 25(5): 174-183 May 1984.
Pierce, C.H. An Approach to Drug Interactions. Consultant, 22(12):138-143, December, 1982.
Pierce, C.H. Practical Aspects of Presenting Information to Practicing Physicians. Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 21:262-264, 1981.
Daniel, A.; Pierce, C.H.; MacLean, L.D. and Shizgal, H. Lactate Metabolism During Canine Shock From Hemorrhage, Cardiac Tamponade Or Endotoxin. Surgery, Gynecology and Obstetrics 143:581-586, 1976.
Pierce, C.H. Comments on the Management of Hypertension - 1976. Journal of the Medical Association of Alabama, pages 23-26. July and August 1976.
Pierce, C.H. Guidelines for the Management of Hypertension - 1976. Report of the Alabama Advisory and Coordinating Council on Hypertension. May 1976.
Pierce, C.H.; Oshiro, G.; Briggs, B.T.; Kay, W.W. and Gutelius, J.R. Mechanisms Of The Effectiveness Of A Synthetic Corticosteroid Like Agent (Methylprednisolone) In Controlled Hypoperfusion Induced Shock. Steroids and Shock, T. Glen, Editor. University Park Press 1974.
Pierce, C.H. Les Mecanismes D'action D'un Agent Corticosteriodique Synthetique Dans Le Choc Experimental. L'Union Medicale du Canada 102:2473-2480, 1973.
Pierce, C.H.; Briggs, B.T. and Gutelius, J.R. Methylprednisolone And Phenoxybenzamine And Experimental Shock: Cardiovascular Dynamics And Platelet Function, Shock In Low- And High-Flow States. B.K. Forsher, International Congress Series No. 247, Amsterdam 1972.
Pierce, C.H. The Enigma of Shock. Canadian Medical Association Journal 103:621-623, 1970.
Bloch, J.H.; Pierce, C.H. and Lillehei, R.C. Adrenergic Blocking Agents in the Treatment of Shock. Annual Rev. Medicine 17:483-508, 1966.
Bloch, J.H.; Dietzman, R.H.; Pierce, C.H. and Lillehei, R.C. Theories Of The Production Of Shock: A Review Of Their Relevance To Clinical Practice. British Journal of Anaesthesiology 38:234-249, 1966.
Pierce, C.H.; McHugh, R.B.; and Bieter, R.N. A New Experimental Approach For Evaluation Of The Effects Of Narcotic Analgesics Upon Respiratory Function. Journal of the Minnesota Academy of Science 32:117-120, 1965.
Bloch, J.H.; Pierce, C.H.; Manax, W.G.; and Lillehei, R.C. Treatment Of Experimental Cardiogenic Shock, Surgery 58:197-214, 1965.
Bloch, J.H.; Pierce, C.H.; Manax, W.G.; Lyons, G.W.; and Lillehei, R.C. Experimental Cardiogenic Shock: Effects Of Low Molecular Weight Dextran. Arch. Surgery 91:77-85, 1965.
Pierce, C.H. and Wright, H.N. Accidental Poisoning In Children: Epidemiology And Prevention. Journal of Minnesota Academy of Science 33:44-48, 1965.
Rotary Club of Cincinnati (Club #17) Ohio, September 1999 - Present
Rotary Club of Lincoln (Club #14) Nebraska, July 1997 - July 1999
- Paul Harris Fellow: July 1999
Rotary Club of Westmount (Quebec) January 1990 - July 1997
- President: 1996 - 1997
- Director: 1991 - 1993, 1994 - 1996
- Rotarian of the Year: 1990 - 1991
- Rotary Club of Burlington (Vermont) July 1985 - December 1989
- President Elect: 1989
- Board of Directors: 1987 - 1989
- Rotarian of the Year: 1987 - 1988
- Rotary Club of Eglington, Toronto Canada Sept 1981 - June 1985
- Rotary Club of Westmount, Montreal Quebec Oct 1979 - Sept 1981
- United Way of Chittenden County, Board of Directors, 1988, 1989
- Chairman, Health Professionals Campaign Division: '88-'89
Selected Recent Invited Presentations
- “Clinical Trail Design and Execution”, A workshop in the Pharmaceutical Risk Management course, Philadelphia, Dec 8-9 2003
- “The Importance of Adverse Event Reporting in Clinical Research” in the “Hot Topics” series of the University of Cincinnati, College of Medicine
- “ P.I. Responsibilities – The Scary Reality” at the University of Cincinnati Clinical Research professional certificate program – 22 October 2003
- “The GCP’s of Clinical Research”, A 5 hour UC, CCHMC course for Neonatologists at the CCHMC 30 May, 2003
- “Changing Face of Clinical Research” (23 April) & “The Clinical Investigators Responsibilities: The Reality” (8 May) at the “Hot Topics” series of the University of Cincinnati, College of Medicine
- “Health Needs in Kathmandu, Nepal – a World Away”, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, International Child Health Seminar, 21 February 2003
- “The Changing Face of Clinical Research”, University of Cincinnati HemeOnc Grand Rounds, Cincinnati, Ohio, 7 February, 2003
- "Investigators Responsibilities in Clinical Research” in the University of Cincinnati Clinical Research Professional certificate Program – 30 October 2002
- “What patients need to know to manage their asthma”, At the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Bridgetown, Barbados – 5 April, 2002
- “Update on the management of Asthma” – 2002, At the Patan Hospital and at the Nepal Medical College, Kathmandu, Nepal - 8 March, 2002
- “Clinical research through the eyes of the Ophthalmologist”, at the AGAH-ACCP meeting, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany –27 January 2002
Interests and Hobbies
- Competitive Squash
- Classical Music